This curated list includes important digital marketing updates and insights from the month of January. To stay updated on the latest updates from the digital landscape, read our Digital Marketing Apple Page.
- YouTube is turning post-roll ads on by default for all videos that are eligible to serve ads. Read more
- How to migrate Gmail campaigns to Discovery campaigns: Google's useful insights. Read more
- Pinterest rolls out a new, 'Dynamic Creative' ad process. Read more
- Google Ads tests "Site" label In Search Ads. Read more
- Facebook Login now offers a Limited Login mode that implements safeguards designed to prevent the fact that a person used Facebook to log into your iOS app from being used to target advertising or measure advertising effectiveness. Read more
- Facebook's removing the 'Our Story' section from Pages next month. Read more
- LinkedIn has created a new free online learning center, LinkedIn Marketing Labs. Read more
- A new feature on the Instagram Graph API Platform is launched to make it easier for businesses to publish content. With this feature, Instagram Business accounts can schedule and publish posts to their Instagram Feeds from third-party platforms. Read more
- You can add web links to your LinkedIn Stories using the swipe up feature. Read more
- Instagram tests new design for Stories on desktop. Read more
- Instagram launches Professional Dashboard. The announcement read
There are three key features of Professional Dashboard:
1. Track Your Performance:
Discover insights and trends based on your accounts performance.
2. Grow Your Business:
Easily access tools you use to run your account more efficiently, discover new tools to help you build your business, and check monetization status and eligibility.
3. Stay Informed:
Learn how to make the most of Instagram through curated educational resources including tips, tricks, guidance, and inspiration.
- How Facebook is using AI to improve photo descriptions for people who are blind and visually impaired. Read more
- LinkedIn rolls out new reply control tools on your LinkedIn posts. Read more
- YouTube adds a new metric option which shows your video's performance in the first 24 hours after upload. Watch here
- Facebook tests a new, visual-focused post composer update. Read more
- Google is testing a new way to shop on YouTube. The update read
We’re testing a new way for people to easily discover and purchase products featured in YouTube videos. Creators in this pilot can add certain products to their videos. Viewers can then see a list of featured products by clicking the shopping bag icon on the bottom left corner of the video. From there, viewers can explore each product’s page to see more information, related videos, and purchase options for that product. We are currently piloting this feature with a limited number of creators. It is visible to users in the US on iOS, Android, and desktop.
- WhatsApp rolls out a new security feature for WhatsApp Web and Desktop: face and fingerprint unlock when linking devices.
Today we’re starting to roll out a new security feature for WhatsApp Web and Desktop: face and fingerprint unlock when linking devices.
WhatsApp does not see your face or fingerprint data.
— WhatsApp (@WhatsApp) January 28, 2021
- A Google designer takes us inside Search’s mobile redesign. Read more
- Google adds price drop appearance rich results to search results. Read more
- Anyone searching for a specific hashtag on YouTube will now see a new dedicated page that only contains videos with the hashtag. Read more
- Google rolls out significant improvements to the Index Coverage report. The update read
The list of changes include:
- Removal of the generic "crawl anomaly" issue type - all crawls errors should now be mapped to an issue with a finer resolution.
- Pages that were submitted but blocked by robots.txt and got indexed are now reported as "indexed but blocked" (warning) instead of "submitted but blocked" (error)
- Addition of a new issue: "indexed without content" (warning)
- Soft 404 reporting is now more accurate
- Google sends notification to site owners saying that Googlebot is crawling their sites with the new HTTP/2 protocol. Read more
- Google launched subtopics ranking in mid-November. Read more
- Google News performance report added to Google Search Console. Read more
- How to understand your Shorts traffic in YouTube Analytics. Watch here